Marlin Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
I would guess a model 1893, or an early model 1894. Not enough pictures to determine caliber.

I will note though, this gun has been heavily modified. The buttstock has been straight cut and a pad added. The octagon barrel has the sharp areas rounded. The wood has been refinished, and the metal has been reblued. Additionally, the reciever has been drilled and tapped, which is not factory done on a levergun of this vintage. Whatever collectors value it may have had is now ruined.

The only monetary value it has would be as a "shooter". And believe it, or not, in today's crazy levergun market, it could possibly bring $600 - $700 ).

As for caliber, if it hasn't been rechambered, it's likely a .32-20, or 44-40. Outside chance it might be a .38-40. The markings on the barrel should indicate original caliber.

In any case, with a gun that has been reworked as much as this one, you should have a Gunsmith check it over, and have a chamber cast performed to determine caliber.

· Registered
42 Posts
How about a pick of the other side. And one of the top a little further down the barrel from the receiver. We should be able to see the caliber. In other words between the rear sight and where the barrel enters the receiver.

· Registered
29 Posts
It seems you have a nice looking shooter, after you check the caliber enjoy!you could have it restored or restore it( depending on your skills ) but,if you asked it’s worth ,no insult intended,you probably don’t have that skill set. If it was restored professionally,it might be worth what you put into it,that depends on any buyers,but ,it might be worth it to you just to enjoy its original,from the factory beauty,that depends on your wallet.Or as said just enjoy it as is,shoot it after checking,it’s collector value is gone,BUT,it has value as a beautiful rifle,that might be really accurate,someone di actually put some real dollars and work into it.Depending on what you have,costwise,into it .you might make money on a sale-you may have bought it cheap or inherited it,I don’t know.if you bought it for a normal guns worth today,it will probably not make you rich whatever you do.again ,enjoy it a shooter!
I’ve just about covered all your options,I actually wish I had it to shoot!

· Registered
29 Posts
At closer look,I see it was probably made after 1903 as it is D&t’d for the Hepburn rear sight,that was done at the factory after 1903 and when the factory did it they moved Marlin safety mark to see it with the sight mounted,it also looks like at least a 24” barrel but to me looks like the 26”I think it’s an 1893.A better shot of the roll marks on the barrel would tell all.
It could also be a grade B rifle ,with a frame that was originally blued, but almost guanteed to have been reblue d,it seems to have a newer front sight,not original but the rears sight looks to be a Rocky Mountain rears sight which was originally supplied on Marlins. Amazing what you see if you look long enough .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts