Time to start the 2012 "Venison" Thread !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Ok
    I hope I didn't bullshit too much in either.
    And my stories match , just a little

Time delay thing .
    So I redid my answer

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I'm getting a late start because the season opened Sept. 29th., yet there is still plenty of time. After all, the mosquitoes are still out.
    I went out last evening to talk to a land owner who had previously agreed to let me hunt his 45 acre farm. I left my permission slips and he will get them signed. It's about 1/2 woods with a stream running through it. He says there is a good number of deer and that I may be the only one hunting there. Two other family members have hunted there some, off and on, in the past but none lately that he knew about.
    Returned today for a quick walk-about and set-up the trail cam. I am really out of shape or maybe it's just age creeping up on me.
    I'll check the cam in 3-4 days and post pictures if I get any. ;)
    For now, I'm about due for a power nap. :eek:

Very interesting and informative thread. I'm glad that it was started.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Sounds like a good tract to hunt greyhawk....goodluck with the cam. Hope you can get some pics and establish a time/pattern on their movement. Here they are already in Rut. I started my scouting and camera placement in August. Like to go out after a good rain. Easier to spot tracks, at least for me. Right now as the leaves are falling, more and more each day it gets harder. As of this year I am using 3 cams and really need more. Price has dropped and I gave $50 for the last two. They just take stills but I have found the videos are really useless, on 30 sec clips, unless you want to spend $$hundreds on the high end ones. As Im sure you have noticed the animals looking right into the cameras as the pics are snapped at night. Its the little red light that blinks when the IR trigger is activated. Now there is one that is called a "BLACKOUT" model....no lights at all, and with the IR flash you get really good photos. they are about $90 as of now. Will probley come down in the near future.

Another technology I've been looking into is "IR Movement Sensors" You can get a unit that senses movement and sends a wireless signal to a base unit (in my deerstand). Price for a 3 unit setup and base unit is about $200. Signal is good for about 1200-1500 ft. Clear path of course. Around my stands I can only see for maybe 300-350 ft. thought this would be good to alert me of approaching game, or at least that there is SOMETHING out there. Ever sit there all day and wonder if anthing is even within miles of your location......:confused:

4. greyhawk50

SW01;
    Sounds like you have a good system figured out. You definitely have a good location with the right equipment. :D I'm envious.
    The main element that I'm missing is "libido". I since that we are enough alike to make a good hunting team but there are too many miles between us. ;)

Hopefully, this location will lure me back out into the wilds. :rolleyes: I enjoy it after I get there but just lack motivation. The last farm that I hunted was 200 acres with spotted areas of woods. Deer passed through but I don't think that they bedded there. Never could get close enough for a good shot. Guess I became discouraged.
    Two years ago, I bought a Wildgame camera. Used it for that season but didn't use it last year. I wasn't real impressed with the trigger speed and the fact that it used too many C size batteries. My son borrowed it, then I got it back, then he borrowed it again for this year.
    Sooo this year, I bought a Bushnell miniature camera from Walmart for $100. I'll let you know how it works. The on-line reviews are pretty good.
    Like you said, I'll need to get some data before picking an ambush spot. I found some good trails and 1 good sized scrape. The owner said there was 2 tree stands in the wood somewhere but I've not found them yet. Just getting started. Need to do more scouting. At least I've started. That's half the battle.

5. SWO1

greyhawk, I to believe it would be an enjoyable time in the field with you hunting, or scouting. Also would just like to sit down and talk with you. Electronic media is great for spanning the distance and time to communicate with others. Other fine posters like bucky in Australia, Axxe in Texas, Hombre, shooter, duster and really ALL the others on this forum.

I also use the Wildgame cameras and yes the trigger speed is slow. Thats what makes the video bad. Unless you get a Head-on approach all you get is a Rear End or nothing at all as they have already passed. What I really would like is a 360 lense and sensor, with about a sub second trigger. Video/Electronic security was one of the things I did when I retired from the Marine Corps. But alas dont have the Multi-Million $$ budgets anymore........:(

It great to know you are getting back out. Work up to it slowly. Do what you are comfortable with. I'll be 65 this May and hopefully 38 years with the Marine Corps will have fortified me for a little more stamina and endurance. At least to put up with the aches and pains of Old Age and keep me going a little longer.

6. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a hunter . Actually the Indians had a name for hunters like me " vegetarian " :rolleyes:
    Most of that is my choice though. I choose to hunt in area that has no doe permits ( except muzzle loader and I don't smoke BP ) . The last avg buck take I saw from the NYS DEC was .7 bucks taken / SQ mile in the county I hunt in. Yep 7 bucks outta 10 sq miles or 70 outta 100.
    I just enjoy it there more. No electric ( not even a generator ) , running water is a hand pump , wood stove for heat , very spotty if any cell phone connection , and yes even shoveling a path to the outhouse thru the fresh snow on a 10 degree morning. :rolleyes: Modern conveniences we do have , propane lights , cook stoves , and refrigerator.
    My favorite part though is , I can spend a month wandering about carrying my levergun and it is a rare occasion I ever see another hunter in the woods unless it was preplanned . :cool:

7. greyhawk50

I had taken the Bushnell Cam to the woods on Saturday afternoon. I got a little itchy today so I went out to look around and swap out the SD card. There were several pictures but many were lacking of game. We had wind advisories over the weekend and I think the wind triggered the camera.
    I had the cam set on the 3 shot setting. Got 12 photos of the same group as they milled around. I'll post 1 pic just to show the quality. Really not bad.
    After swapping the Card, I moved the Cam to a more open location. Haven't seen enough yet to cause me to spend the bucks for license & permits. Hoping things improve although I'm having doubts about being physically able to pull this off. We'll see. At least the scouting is good exercise.
    By the way, there are 3 deer in this picture.
    Nothing from 6:24 pm Sat. until 2:30 pm today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. greyhawk50

Just thought I would post a screen grab of the new area that I've acquired.
    The Plat Book says it's 33.7 acres. It is bordered on 3 sides by roads and the bean fields north of the wooded area with the stream is part of the property. Like anywhere else in this county, there are a lot of houses. Safety will have to be first and foremost.

Attached Files:

9. SWO1

Good pics grey....Is that the little Mini Cam you mentioned earlier ? If so I saw it in Wal-Mart for $99..It is really small. They also had the Blackout one. Its by Primos...but for $129. A big, bulky thing, so I dont know.

Your area looks promising...and as the camera shows...It does have Deer. Good luck on which ever way you decide to go.

And as Red Green says......We're rootin for ya, We're all in this together"...:D

10. greyhawk50

Yes, It's the Bushnell Mini-Cam from Walmart for $99. I think I'm going to like it. :))

11. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Yep, we're rootin' fer ya !!!

Camera pic looks good !

Land looks nice , should be able to find the trails and patterns there !!

I still recommend that cabela's big game hauler . Stable , one person operation , a LOT easier than dragging ( unless you can get a truck or atv to it of course )

12. SWO1

After checking my friends 308 cases for reloading this morning we took a ride to the neighbors place. He will be hunting it this season. As I and my grandsons have took deer in the past for the neighbor, he is disabled, I showed him some good locations that have produced in the past. On surveying about 20-30 acres we jumped 4 deer. The first one ran off thru the brush and we didnt get a look at what it was. Then we jumped a real good sized buck that went over on to me....I told him that one was spooked real bad and probley would'nt be back......:D On finishing up we ran out two small does. I have a stand there and told him to use it. Also showed him a couple of spots if he wanted to put up another one. I think he will do well there.

13. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Yer a good man Sir . I don't care what Grey hawk says about you :D

14. SWO1

I think its good to give a guy a good place to hunt. He only lives on 5 acres, mostly clear and surrounded by cleared property so dosnt get a chance to see many deer. He was happier than a Hog in Mud seeing he had 200 acres of timber all to himself. Besides it needs hunted and having hunters ajesent to each other, although seperated by over 300 acres will benifit both of us. He said he will also take some venison for the landowner. Maybe he will run some more of them big bucks over to my grandsons.........:D

15. greyhawk50

After relocating the trail cam, I left it alone for another 3 days. Went out this afternoon and swapped the SD Card.
    Only had 6 pictures of what I believe to be 2 different Does. (The camera is set on 3 shot cycle) Nothing from the afternoon of the 16th. until this morning about 9:30am.
    I'm going to continue the scouting but as of today, not real excited. I didn't relocate the cam today but I did rotate it to focus on another part of the trail.

Attached Files:

16. SWO1

If I were you grey, woulnt worry to much about not geeting to many shots of deer. There are probley more there than you think. This year I have only gotten 1 of a buck. But I have seen at least 4 in my prime hunting area..all different ones. And many more close by as Ive been scouting around and Turkey Hunting. With those cameras they have a narrow field (about 60-80 deg) (and 40-50 yds in depth) to trigger the pics and a lot of animals can pass out of that range, and do. Ive found that were some go, a lot also go.

The ones you captured look good to me. I would say no more than 2yr olds, and probley 1. 5, Mighty good vittles.

Not that it makes any difference, but is that a pickett fence I see in the latest pics ? I can see where you would have to be careful about where you settle on a shooting lane.

17. greyhawk50

SWO1, what you are seeing in the background is a bean field that hasn't been harvested yet.
    I don't have a program to add things to a photo and I'm not sure that I have the ability even then.
    I'll do my best to walk you through the attached photo.
    The road on the right that runs north/south is Co. Rd. 32S.
    At the bottom of the photo, Twp. Rd. 204 travels west from 32S and curves to the north. All of the huntable land is surrounded (on 3 sides) by roads.
    There is a golf T shaped field across the bottom of the property with the creek and wooded area (running east/west) north of that field.
    North of the creek (from left to right) are 3 fields. The left field is small, then a wooded fence row. Then a much larger field divided by a wooded drainage ditch running north /south through the center (looks like 2 fields).
    The camera is in the woods, pointing north across the creek and looking out into the south west corner of the large center field. You can see the creek running through the woods and the camera is located about mid point of the photo and south of the creek.
    Not a picket fence, it's a bean field.

Attached Files:

18. SWO1

That splains it.....had these bad eyes fooled. Matching up your discription with the arial photo it all makes sence now.......:D Hope you get one (or more). When is opening day there ?

19. greyhawk50

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  20. SWO1

Went out and sat in the deer stand for a while. With this front commin in thought maybe it would have them moving around some. But NOTHING. In the 15 minutes ive been back watched the thermo-meter DROP 5 DEGREES. Also its starting to rain lightly. Will fire up the deep fryer at about 5:30.....WILD TURKEY TIME TONIGHT, with sweet taters, corn on the cob, salad. Picked all the tomatoes, green ones also, peppers. Aint gonna fight the frost. I think its here to stay.