Time to start the 2012 "Venison" Thread !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Days of Ole

Seen this on the Marlin 80DL Thread.
    How many remember the Red & Black Checkered Wool Hunting Clothes?
    My first few years deer hunting in Pa., that was the standard attire in the woods.
    Brings back fond memories. ;) Depending on the weather - hat, coat & pants. They were heavy but they were warm.
    Then everything changed when the States started requiring Blaze Orange. Camo became the In Thing and clothes became lighter with modern technology insulation. Whether the new stuff is better or not is subject for debate.

Attached Files:

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

LOL....I still had my HAT...with the ear flaps, up until a couple years ago when my sister-in-law borrowed it and I never got it back.

Look at the prices on the .22s in the ad......Hey grey, order me bout half dozen of each...I'll pay ya back.......:D

3. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

I remember my dad having that ....
    he quit hunting before the hunter orange came into effect.

4. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

I still wear them :D

Loaded up for hunting season last fall :

[​IMG]

5. greyhawk50

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I've continued with the scouting via the trail cam. I moved it to the west end of the "golf T shaped" field, south side looking north. I took a half gallon of Deer Cane that was left from 2 years ago and placed it 20' in front of the camera. That was on 10-24 and I picked it up at about noon on 10-29. There were 88 pictures. Multiple picture every day and most were of Does & Fawns. On the late evening of the 25th. this young Buck came in at 2030 hours. This confirms that there is good deer activity in the area and it confirms that they like to travel in the open field more so than the thick brush. It also confirms that Deer Cane is a good attractant. I rotated the camera more to the north east and threw out a bag of apples. We'll see what happens. I'll be happy with a couple Does for the freezer.
    Looks like I'll be buying my license and another jug of Deer Cane this week. I have a couple extra bags of apples for future outings when I get legal. (baiting for deer is legal in my state)
    My S-I-L completed his Hunter Safety Course this past weekend so he is good to go.

Attached Files:

6. SWO1

Looks like you found a good spot grey.....Yes deer do like to travel in cleared areas but do keep brush nearby as an escape route. I have cleared Lanes throughout my property and have them using them more often than not.

The little buck and doe in your pics look like nice ones. Best table fare I think. How many different ones could you identify in your pics ?? Me and the neighbor were talking yesterday about putting in some apple and pear trees in a clearing between both of us. He gets them every night in his back yard munching on pears. In Missouri we cant put out anything unless it grows..We can use Mineral blocks or salt licks or the Deer cane as long as it has no grain or nuts in it. Of course over in the cattle pastures they feed with them but that is legal. But we dont hunt on that side of the road. Lots of times you will see the deer and turkey at the feeders with the cattle and horses.

7. greyhawk50

I'm thinking between 6 & 8 including the little buck. Based on a scrape that I seen along the creek, there is a bigger buck in the neighborhood.
    What was encouraging was that I had pictures every day whereas before, (in the brush) I was getting one picture every 3 days.
    I'm getting enough picture to indicate that they are passing thru early morning, late evening and during the night. No mid day pictures at this time.
    Spoke to my son this past weekend. He has 2 Does in the freezer already. He says that the Bucks are still bunched up and the rut hasn't started yet. I believe the rut is based on the length of daylight hours but warm weather has some effect. This cold snap should gets things a rolling.

8. SWO1

Early morning....late evening, PRIME TIME. I usually pack it in at 11 and return around 2:30. However the Bucks do move during the mid-day. When I hunted horns I would stay ALL DAY, and took some of the bigger ones during the mid-day period. You gonna hunt Slug or Black Powder ??

9. greyhawk50

For right now, crossbow. The goal is to fill a tag for my son-in-law. It's his first year but in order to assist him in the hunt, I need to be licensed also. He only has weekends free so I'll hunt during the week and hopefully fill my tag. When he is in the field, he'll carry my Barnett and I'll coach.
    One each is all the freezer room that we have.
    Gun season runs Nov. 26 thru Dec. 2. Because of all the houses around the property, I plan to buy a smooth bore slug barrel for my recently acquired Mossy 20 gage. I want the smooth bore so it can double as a defense weapon.
    Then, if need be, muzzle loader season is Jan. 5th. thru the 8th.. I gifted my son-in-law with a 50 cal. Traditions round ball gun and I have the 50 cal. CVA Optima that shoots sabots.
    Then back to the crossbow thru Feb. 3rd.
    I hope that all this chit-chat doesn't jinks my chances. :p
    You know, "the best laid plans of men and mice. :eek:"

10. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Looks like yer gettin' dialed in Grey :cool:

11. SWO1

Tomorrow Morning....The Hunt is on. It will just be my Oldest....Carson tomorrow. He brother is in Springfield at a friends House. Will go and be in the stand by 0630. Sunrise here is 0740 so can legally shoot at 0710. He has 3 rounds in his Savage. Can only take one Youth weekend. That leaves him 2. He has 3 tags......More than enough.....for the whole season......;) Of course he will have a backpack with provisions for a 3 day safari, even tho if he dosnt connect early we will be back at the house at 1100. I'll have my two thurmos's of coffee. Have the skinnin knives in the backpack. Block and tackle are in the deerstand. If nothing in the morning Then back at 1430 till dark. Forecast is for some rain tonight into the morning. Might have em bedded down till after it stops...maybe.

Youth season I am just the guide/spotter/assistant field dresser. If I can remember to take the camera I will just shoot em with that.......:cool:

12. SWO1

Goin on 0530....the "Shooter" is still asleep. Will roll him out in about 30 minutes. Good news is NO RAIN...When I went to bed last night at 2230 clear skys and full moon. Dont see any stars this morning so may be overcast. Temp is 54, a litte warm and no wind so far. Hope he gets a small doe today. Dont want to have to work up a big buck in this hot weather.....:p Right now have two Horned Owls talking back and forth. Gonna be a good day....If we get anything or Not. Dont think any other Youth are out within miles of here so probley wont have anthing ran out, just whats millin around here. Probley wont hear a shot all weekend. Well hope to hear ONE....REAL CLOSE......:D

13. SWO1

Morning Report: NOTHING...No signs of life what so ever, no birds, no squirrels, NADA. And it was perfect, sunny, temp even dropped, just now 50 at noon. I didnt dress apporiate. Got chilly, feet got cold. Will remendy that this afternoon. You can always take it off. If ya aint got it, cant put it on.
    Back out around 2. Will get down some HOT soup and take more coffee. Can't have any worse luck later. I dont like to hunt afternoon....But ya gotta do what ya gotta do........:p Weather looks like we can let it hang tonight IF he gets one.

14. SWO1

Total for the Day........Happens more often than not. Got until 4 Jan .........:p

Attached Files:

15. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Wishing you better luck on Sunday morning.

16. SWO1

NO HUNTING TODAY.....:( Both grandsons gone ..... Will catch up on the Honey-do list and maybe get to loading some .308s for me next Saturday for Regular Opening Day. Today looks better than yesterday, little foggy, 40 deg but clear. Then again it was about perfect yesterday.....:confused: It was so nice think all the critters took the day off and went to Disney World....somewhere but not here.....:eek:

17. SWO1

Went over to the brother-in-laws to help him unload some lumber. He was gettin ready to put up a tree stand for bow hunting. I stayed about 3 hours and helped him. He had found some real good fresh scrapes. Whish I had taken a camera. We picked a likley spot and put it up. Had to trim a few brances and sprouts. He will go out about 2:30 today and give it a try. Think I will make a tour of my areas this afternoon and see what I can see....:p Last night at about 6:30 they were out in force about 200 yds from the house. Didnt see what all was in the bunch as it was to darkl. Will take the camera out and if I find any scrapes will post the pics so the new hunters will know what to look for.

Later...Frank

18. SWO1

I only went over about 10-12 acres. Thats hard work trudging thru the brush...:( I didn't find any tree or sprout scrapes. But did find a ground scrape about 200 yards down from my main stand. Look to be about 2 days old with doe tracks and a small buck. Also coyeote prints thru it.

Attached Files:

19. SWO1

It's 1730 and Im gettin ready to listen to my HighSchool Football team in N.C. in the Second round of the Playoffs. Having my Pre-Hunt meal of Deer Sausague, cheese, Crackers. Walked down to my brothers at 1630 and the Big Ole buck was in my upper field again. As he took off he flagged what looked like a Beach Towel....Hes BIG. He went back off in the direction of my deer stand. We will see tomorrow. Gonna be warm and windy. If I get one will have to work it up right away. Starting Monday temps will again fall to low 50s and 30s at night.

Nighty-Night

20. SWO1

Saw two today. One about 10. Movin thru the brush and trees about 100 out. It didnt stop and went out of sight. Couldnt tell what it was and even if it had stopped where it was probley no shot anyway.

At about 2 a doe was commin right at me. she turned and started down a draw goin away. When she stopped all I could see was the RearEnd.....again no shot. She kept goin north.

Neither one knew I was there and wernt spooked. It was warm today, about 70. Didnt really care about gettin one and having to work it up. Tomorrow evening a front commin in. After the rain temps will drop back to high 40s day and 30s night. Monday will be GOOD.

My friend hunting the neighbors place took two. A six pointer this morning and a doe this afternoon. His 770 was right on and my reloads worked great....both head shots.

Even tho it will still be warm tomorrow.....Ill be back out.....till the storm rolls in.