Time to start the 2012 "Venison" Thread !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

It was a WINDY morning. Rocked by deer stand, and tornadoes of leaves all across my shooting lanes. About 10 the wind quit and I could feel the temp drop. I says to myself.....self go home. but I tarried to long. In about 15 minutes it started raining....Hard. I got wet, my gun got wet. The front wasnt supposed to be here till around 3. Early in, maybe early out. Should be good to go Monday morning.......:D

2. SWO1

Its now 1800.....still raining. Temp 42, a little lower and SNOW If it keeps raining.....:D I'm gettin a lot of lip from two guys on either side me. One took two yesterday. Today at 3 the other one took a six pointer just on the other side of our line...:eek: I heard the shot and 10 minutes later he was callin me. Thats a six point apeace and a bonus doe. I guess they are entitled as I smoked em both last year. The BIG ONE is still out there and if I get a shot I will make Color glossy 8X10's, frame em, and present each one.........:D If either of them get him I'll never hear the end of it. Ya gotta have fun with it.
    I did remind them that neither got a Turkey......:p

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Bah Humbug...I missed a beautiful wide 9 about 0940. Knew he was here...just came trotting out across the field and then took the high road instead of coming on this side of the pond. Didn't spook him. He hoped the fence, crossed the road and followed the same route they all have been using across another field and into the woods. If somebody else doesn't put a tag on him...I spect I might get another opportunity. Dang gusty winds and all...I ain't got a clue where the bullet struck into the hillside on this big ol field with the mud. Just need 1 deer to jerk for the troops in A-stan. Oh well, can't kill 'em all, especially moving (darn critter just wouldn't stop) at over 200yds. My bad :eek:

4. SWO1

At least ya got a shot Spoon, the two that I saw I havn't even had that. Nothing this morning, back out at 1400. Its 42 right now and will start to drop again about 3.....:)Looks like all week it gonna be good weather down here. There was no wind this morning but starting to pick up some now.

Later...Frank

5. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Keep after 'em boys :cool:
    This year life kinda got in the way so I gave the folks at camp a head start . Headed up there in the next day or 2 and there better be some fuzzy wind-chimes hanging from the neighbors meatpoles.
    After this week most head south to fill their tags where the deer are plentiful. Much more quiet when they are gone. ;)

6. SWO1

If nothing else it was a beautiful, enjoyable day. Temp perfect (45), sunny, hardly no wind. On comming in at about 11 I checked and all the mineral block was gone. There was stil some the other day. So they are around. On going back at 1400 I put out a new block along with some scent wicks with doe urine. I am relentless....I will hang in there.

Had to use the heater today up until about 10 to keep the hands warm (trigger finger). I dont like to wear gloves. I use those Tosty-toe foot warmers for the feet. They work great, last all day. Had on the thermials and only opened two windows, East and South. The wind was out of the North so it was comfy in the stand.

After wendsday I might change stands for a few days.....maybe. I hate to give up the condo and go to an open stand....yea..yea.. Im startin to be a whuss......:rolleyes:

7. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Them there tostey toes or chem hand warmers are great :cool:
    If I'm wearing gloves ( rare ) inside the wristband I'll stick one. Most times , the top of a tight sock is cut off and a grabber hand warmer is folded in it against the inside of my wrist under the cuff of my coat.
    Being one that needs to cock the hammer as well as not fumble with a frozen boogerhook on the bangswitch it works good for me . :cool:

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

The idea of keeping the handwarmer on the inside of the wrist came from getting a velcro pouch bracelet thing as one of those "bonus " things they sometimes put in the boxes . The circulation in my hands ain't great , below 40 F my finners start turning white.
    What a difference , of course it warms the blood going into my hands , but also warms the cold blood leaving my hands and thus helps keep my body warmer as well. :cool:

9. linne1100

linne1100 Active Member

gun season starts this Saturday here in Indiana.......I`ll be in the woods before sun-up. taking my boy this year for the first time, so who knows....maybe beginners luck will rub off on the ol guy !!

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Wish ya both luck....!!

11. SWO1

Had to quit early yesterday. Had a Habitat For Humanity Meeting. Will take today off. Was reminded by the wife today is the Daughters birthday. Will take her to lunch. Big birthday party tonight....The grandkids are BIG on birthday partys and its their Mom. Got a repossession to Habitat and since Im the construction chairman have to do a damage inspection today and testify in court Monday on a damage hearing. There are things in life more important than hunting....so it will be thursday before I get back out.

12. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Good things come to thouse that wait

13. FOUR4D4

Lets see i will be getting up early and climb a tree for some venison (The Other Red Meat).

Knight Disc Extreme charged with a few triple7 pellets Tc Shockwave 250 gr sabot bullet...with motivation coming from a 209 Winchester primer made to go BOOM

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Where is your stand?

I will volunteer to sit in it and keep it warm and fill your tag while you are away.:cool:

15. SWO1

Good luck Bud...The In-lines are fun. Took a button buck last year. I have switched from the triple7 to White-Hot pellets (2) Still using the Hornady Lock-n-Load Speed sabot in 250gr and Win 209s. I had been getting some duds with the Remmy 209's on the bench so I ditched em. I tried some TC Shockwave last year but didnt get as good accuracy. I use a Traditions 50 Cal. This year in Mo. you can also use a center fire pistol as they have changed the Black Powder season to Alternative Methods, just about anything goes except center fire rifles.....:D Those boat anchors out of the In-lines knock em down HARD.

16. FOUR4D4

I thought i was the only one who only used only 2 pellets of black powder SW01

17. SWO1

I started out using max load of 3 (150gr). Then I started reading articles about how 100 gr gave better accuracy out of In-lines. Tried it and....IT WAS TRUE. For deer its all ya need....blows BIG holes in em, with the right bullet..Just like center fires, got to find the right one for a particular rifle. My other one, CVA (Youth model), Likes the TC alright.

Maybe for BIG, BAD, critters 150 gr along with the 300+bullets may be needed, but not for deer.

18. FOUR4D4

Hodgden state do not use more than 2 pellets and does not take any responsibily for hever loads. And the gun manufactures are stating they can handle up to 3 pellets.

When i was sighting in my muzzleloader i was shooting 3pellets and the groups were all over the target.

19. SWO1

After another fruitless morning at the main stand went and retrieved the camera from my north stand. Its at the bottom of the draw from my main stand. THATS WERE THEY ARE !! They arnt commin up. So this evening I will go down and sit in that one. And again tomorrow morning. These are three of the 15 pics I got in two days there. When I changed the battreys I forgot to reset the date/time but from some looks to be either early morning or late evening. Most have 3 does at once. One is of a small buck, 2 maybe 4 pts. And one of a larger buck, looks to be about 8/10. Not the big ole one but pretty good size. So down at about 3 and see what shows up.

Attached Files:

20. SWO1

Have you seen the commercial with the two Antalopes wearin Night Vision Goggles ???

I went to the North stand at 3. Took 3 rounds with me. Figured one, if Im real lucky maybe two. Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.....

At 4 two does walk out. The black one and another. Just about 75 yds..perfect. I whistle and they both stop...sideways...perfect neck shot. I hold and sqeeze on the black one. After the recoil.....both are still standing looking at me. I put another round in the rifle and hold on the black one again. Same results. Both just turn around....dont even flag...just walk back off the way they came. Im speechless....well thoughtless really. Dont know what to make of it. I just sat there for about 10 minutes. Here comes the black one AGAIN.....stops about 90 out this time and is reaching up and eating leaves off a vine. I put the last shell in the rifle....After the shot she is still eating....never moved.

I'm out of shells....If i had a whole box probley wouldnt have made any difference. I climb down and start to walk back up the draw to the house. As I get a few yards away I turn and look back....AND THERE ARE BOTH OF EM ....Stand there looking at me...and this thought comes into my head.....THATS RIGHT...WE CAN SEE YA CARL !!!

Wont go out in the morning. Will go to the bench with the 700 and in a couple of rounds will know ...IS IT ME....Or the gun.

Will let ya know tomorrow..........CARL