Time to start the 2012 "Venison" Thread !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Well boys, as we say in the Marine Corps, It's not the Dope on the rifle, it's the DOPE behind the rifle.....:eek: Even the first two shots cold were within an inch, next two were right on, 1" high. I hold at 6 o'clock on the target. With an 8" wide neck holding 1" below the ear hole.....NO EXCUSE..Just Pi** Poor Shooting.

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

It takes a big man to admit he's wrong SW01...good luck next time out !!

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Rifle or Operator?

Damn the un-luck! Stuff happens sometimes and I'm sure you'll get 'er figured out. That's why I wear BDUs & Field Jacket...LOTS of room to tote snacks, a box of ammo, water, etc without tying up my hands. Got enough problem with a Primos Trigger Stick (When I remember to grab the darn thing) and the XL. Nothing this morning in 3hrs of sitting on a prime cross route. Looks like we'll have to go to the honey hole tomorrow or Sunday and see if there's as many deer as the landowner claims. They haven't been hunted and a long time on a 100 acre tract. Good luck "CARL", I'm sure you've resolved the issue with the errant rounds:)

NOTE: :eek: Field-tested the 65gr Sierra's on two small deer collected by eldest daughter and one of her daughters behind their house. I dunno what happened, although very accurate, one of the girls punched through a yearling doe into the ribs, just behind the shoulder and exited out the flank on a forward-facing quartering shot of about 50yds. MINIMAL damage. Missed the rib, went through only soft tissue and seems to have failed to expand at all according to son-in-law when he dressed it and washed the gut shot remains out. The other was a salvage on someone else's cripple that ended with a neck shot flop. Accurate, but appears to need either less speed or more or??? Loaded to high pressure 5.56 velocity, but not coming out of a 16" barrel as fast as load table indicates for sure with the short tube. Guess it needs a wet phone book test since I can't afford ballistic gel! These two little deer are going to Afghanistan in dried form, save the tenderloins, loins and the tough stuff that we'll grind later with pork butt for sausage. The dehydrator's on full duty for the next 24hrs or so.

4. SWO1

Good luck to ya Spoon. I'll be out with the boys tomorrow and probley sunday. The oldest will be down at the North stand (where they are). He took two there last year and I'm sure HE CAN HANDLE IT....Unlike some of us...LOL

I had 19 of the reloads. Pi**ed away 3 yesterday. Poked 4 thru paper this morning. With the 12 left MAYBE I can put ONE in the right place......:rolleyes:

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

:)
    Best thing is you are out there, having a "go"
    which is a lot more than a lot of people do

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. SWO1

After comming in at 1100 this morning spotted a LARGE doe goin up the creek line toward the North Stand at about 1200. Will go to the North Stand at 1500 again. This time will take 2-rifles, 40 rounds of ammo, pistol, 6 knives, and a couple of large bottle rockets left over from 4th of July....:p

CARL is gonin back in, and hes loaded for BEAR this time. Geez, hope I dont run onto one....maybe better pack a couple of shotguns with slugs also...:eek:

Both grandson took off on me again this afternoon, so dont even have any backup. Its just me againt THEM. That's OK, if it's like thursday I probley dont want any witnesses anyway.

7. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

best of luck to you!

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Have you ever just had bad vibes about a hunt? My tree stand slipped out from under me that just after setting up a spot the day before.Thank God i was wearing my safety harness.So now my hunting buddy thinks I messed up his hunt by not wanting to go.There is something defiantly wrong with the stand,he seems to want me to go in there in the dark.and use the climber.He was there and saw it in fact helped me with the platform part of the stand.Its just unsafe and i don't feel right.Of course he don't use a safety harness either.

9. SWO1

Be Careful..and safe. I never did like those climbers. You are right in not going if you have any concerns over ANY saftey issues.

10. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

First Blacktail

yesterday @ 7:45 AM, Western Washington's late buck, took a tasty little 3x2 @ 60 yards with my 280 Rem and 150 grn core lokts handloaded to 2800 fps.
    Bang-flop = venison in the freezer!

Attached Files:

11. SWO1

Way to go tahoe2......Nice looking deer. Those blacktails are pretty deer. Is that a 7400 Rem you shoot ? Get some more...:)

12. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

Swo1

Yup ! that's a 7400 ! It's even stamped 7mm Express so I think it's 1981-83.
    It's a great shootin gun; 7/8" for three shots, four opens up to 1-1/4"(4 rnd factory mags), with my handloads of course!
    Had a cracked wood stock when I bought it for $250(8 years ago), so I put the synthetic on it. Great gun !
    Did you notice his toupee? LOL

13. SWO1

Yes I did, and the band around the muzzle. Thats what sets them off. Your 7400 in 7MM was only made from 81-87 and at $250 a great buy. Looks nice with the camo stock.

14. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Fallow Buck
    Shot in Southern NSW, Australia, 3 or 4 years back.
    Were not too sure what had made the scrape, and thrashed a small pine tree.
    But after a couple of hunts, came up with this beauty.

Attached Files:

15. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

Nice Fallow Bucky !

I managed a Fallow Doe this past September in Eastern Washington, with my mauser in 8x57. They sure are good eatin !! Sorry bout the blur, I didn't take the pic.

Attached Files:

16. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Was after what we thought was a Red Stag, so he got one from my .444 Marlin and the Mates Marlin 30.06.
    Bit of overkill, usually I use a .222

17. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

those Fallow Buck's are very handsome animals !!

18. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

congrats guys!!!

19. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Might be COLD winter if this doe's fat stores are an Omen. First is her flank "insulation" and the second is the INSIDE, against the ribs that I revealed when I boned her rib cage out. BRrrrrrr???

Attached Files: