Marlin Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Back from the range ...... LOL all 100 yards away.

First round was shot from the hip about 10 from the berm. Wanted to make sure it functioned and DIDNT BLOW UP ...... I do this with every used gun.

Went to the 50yrd line off a rest. Shot some 2 rd groups, a 3, and a couple of ones. 12 rounds all total. I Hereby delcare it MINUTE OF DEER ..... :)

Frist two in Group 1 was getting used to the trigger. It measured avg 7 lbs on ten pulls on the Lyman Gauge. Long take up and not a very clean break, But workable.

Dont know about keeping the Redfield 4X on it. It a good clear scope just not enough XXX for me and my tired old eyes. the Elevation and windage adjustment is Odd. No clicks just a white line. Of course I forgot where I started and had to guess. There are no markings as to what the values are but it seems very senstive at 50 Yards.

Group #2 was 1.25" ..... not bad but I had over estamiated on elev. and Windage.

Group #3 was a 3 shot group .... 5/8" .....dont know where that came from, but it went in latter groups ..... LOL

#4 after making a elevation change

#5 after making a windage change

Group #6 ....back to two shots and another dope change ... 1.2"

Recoil is TAME ..... not as much as my .308s.

It loads, chambrers, fires, ejects, and reloads Fine. I probably wont ever have more than 3 rounds in it, I mainly just load 1 in the chamber and one in the tube. Never used the extra.

I will wait till I find more ammo, The Federal 200gr are just fine. According to the Federal Balistic tables this round Zeroed at 50 will be .5" low at 25, -0.1 at 75 and -1.0 at 100. Right on for my shooting field, 99 to back of clearing, and 25 up close. Will try Bass Pro and Acadamy tomorry for more Federal, if not then will have to get something else and start all over.

Measurements were Outside to Outside.

Attachments

· Registered
760 Posts
Looks like you ended up with it looking very darn good. I like the wood and the receiver even looks better now. I like the burned in natural finish on the wood. Over all I think you had good results of your labor. LOL You got some fine wood there looking hard as steel.
How bout that?? It didn't blow up on you. Seems you have a good one after all. If you don't like it I get the girl might trade back with you now. Yeah right!
Really looks great to me.

· Registered
1,966 Posts
Good shoot'n from a great look'n rifle. That receiver looks great. Can't see the wood so much but it looks rich.
You done good my friend. Expected nothing less.

The trees in the background still have green leafs. Not so much so up here. :))

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks guys. I like it and it will be a keeper, to pass along to the younguns. I miss my other 336s and glad it came along.

Yes Greyhawk the leaves are still green, but turning more every day and starting to fall. The underbrush, vines ect are the first to go here. wont be long till its Brown snow ..... :p there are Big splotches of color through out the timber.

· Registered
488 Posts
SW01, ditto with what the other folks said. Very nice job - the bluing and tung oil finish you put on the furniture turned out very well. Glad you saved a good one!

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I saw that also. But with shipping not so good. I have decided to shoot the round nose this year and if everything works out OK will probably reload them also. At the LGS this morning to pick up my .35 dies and barrel for the zip trim. WALL -AH, rearranging the shop he found another box of Federal. I will shoot a couple from this box to see if they print the same as the 8 I have left. I didnt want to have to buy the Winchester. A call to Bass Pro and Acadamy this morning and neither has ANY. Bass pro said they could order em and be here in about a week, depending on what was in stock at central distributor. @ 27 +change for the LR and with my 10% DISCOUNT that would be the way to go.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.