Marlin Forums banner

virgin turkey hunt.

7K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  dads81-DL 
#1 ·
Looks like my wife, son and I will be going spring turkey hunting. I have only been in the woods a few times squirrel hunting with my boy recent,having not been out in about 20 years. We are all excited. Especially my wife. She just recently started shooting, and soon to own her first gun. Mossberg 500 20 ga. They were even the first two , to pre-register for the spring hunter safety course.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Maybe I should re-type saying, my cousin and sister and brother n law invited me to hunt Turkeys on their property. That should clarify it better for those anti gunners. I don't need them jumping to conclusions. Lol

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Going on my first Turkey Hunt ever tomorrow. A 53 year old giddy like a little kid. I hope yours went well! Wish me luck?!
Good luck. Ours start on the 22nd . 9 days and counting. We're all getting pretty excited. My brother n law is setting up not far from where they roost. A creek runs diagonal to our left. He says the won't cross a creek. out in front of the blind 50 yrs is a place where they like to dust themselves. And off to our right , a couple hundred yards is an old cut cornfield they go to quiet often. We put out a few sticks planted in the ground to mark yardage for my wife and son. Now we wait to see if the plan comes together :)

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Got the gear staged:

Mossberg 835 12 ga with XX full Turkey Choke

2 rounds...1 Fed 3" #6 in the chamber, backed up by a Win 3.5" #6

My lucky camo ball cap

Turkey Vest with handy dandy pockets for everything and a fold down padded cushion in the seat for sitting on hard/cold/wet ground

Ceder Box call and a Gobble call

And of course my Stanley thermos of coffee, it will be a long morning. Shooting hours are from 1/2 before sunup till 1300 in the Spring.
Hey SWO1,
How do you like the 835? Tomorrow I'm trading my 1920's Ward Hercules/ Stevens 12 gauge model 50 and a 1910? Stevens 12 gauge single shot for one. I'm sure it's just a little nicer :)

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I've had mine for 10 yrs. 30" tube and wood stock. My grandson has a newer one with 28" tube and synthetic stock. His holds a little better pattern but like all guns ya never know. The 835 is a 12 ga. but the bore is just a couple clicks under a 10 ga. Come drilled and tapped and the barrels are quick detach with a lot of options. Barrels are threaded for choke options with double bead sights. The newer ones have fiber optic beads. They also have a vent rib. I like em.
Finely swapped out the 2 old shotguns for Mossberg 835. I think my chance on a turkey vastly increased:)

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thought the boss would call for work yesterday so I did not go turkey hunting. Come to find out , I should have went hunting. No work. LOL. Even though I thought I'd work today, I got out to the woods at 6:15am, decoys all set up, and a 45 minutes before I had to leave....I could hear 3 different gobblers and seen one turkey pass be by about 125 yrds out. exciting morning for me. oh yeah.... I called the boss and it still looks like no work. But I did see a turkey on my first ever hunt:)

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Jake down. after a 22 yr hiatus from hunting , and a special thanks to my you son for reawakening this joyous hobby. Loosing 80+ pounds to be able to get out again and hunt , I got my fist turkey. He ain't no monster, only a 3 1/2" beard and 1/4" nub spurs 10.4 pounds dressed and plucked. I'll post pic later. Three days left for my wife and son to get Thiers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.