Marlin Forums banner

virgin turkey hunt.

7K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  dads81-DL 
Good luck. Ours start on the 22nd . 9 days and counting. We're all getting pretty excited. My brother n law is setting up not far from where they roost. A creek runs diagonal to our left. He says the won't cross a creek. out in front of the blind 50 yrs is a place where they like to dust themselves. And off to our right , a couple hundred yards is an old cut cornfield they go to quiet often. We put out a few sticks planted in the ground to mark yardage for my wife and son. Now we wait to see if the plan comes together :)
That's awesome dads! !! We know where these roost. I have a really good pattern on the choke. We are going to follow them in the morning, do decoys, call them and hope it all works as planned. Best of luck to you sir! !!! We will report tomorrow evening! !

The 835's are good guns. I got an extended choke cheap on ebay (HS Strut Undertaker) and shoot 3.5" Winchester #5's. I went last Sunday and saw a big tom about 200 yards away but he had two hens leading him around by the beard and wanted no part of my call or decoys. I heard some more toms but the cattle moved around that hillside and pushed them out. I went back Wednesday morning, between the rounds of thunderstorms. I set up behind a big log on the right edge of a wooded area. When I started calling a tom answered from the roost. When they flew down they headed up the hill to the pasture to dry out. I started calling and before long he started slowly working his way toward my decoys. I bagged him about 7:10. I didn't weigh him because he was wet, but he had a ten inch beard. And he was delicious. My first turkey.

Sweet!! Way to go Ernie!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.