Marlin Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Tomorrow morning..15 April...opening day. I'll be out about 0600. I heard a hen cackling close the other day. Think she was nesting. Talked to my nephew yesterday and he says they are scarce at his place also. Don't know where they are hiding out at :confused: I'll set up at my usual spot first thing in the timber and then about 9 or so move over next to a field. Might be overcast and showers tomorrow, but warm.

Tomorrow morning..15 April...opening day. I'll be out about 0600. I heard a hen cackling close the other day. Think she was nesting. Talked to my nephew yesterday and he says they are scarce at his place also. Don't know where they are hiding out at :confused: I'll set up at my usual spot first thing in the timber and then about 9 or so move over next to a field. Might be overcast and showers tomorrow, but warm.
Good luck tomorrow SW. Hope you get in the middle of em.

Thanks lingr.....I just happy to be able to be out there. Always GREAT anticipation ...... and usualy great disappointment. There's goin huntin and there's getting something. Huntin is 99% of the fun.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL...Can't wait to see the first Pics of a spring Gobbler.

Got the gear staged:

Mossberg 835 12 ga with XX full Turkey Choke

2 rounds...1 Fed 3" #6 in the chamber, backed up by a Win 3.5" #6

My lucky camo ball cap

Turkey Vest with handy dandy pockets for everything and a fold down padded cushion in the seat for sitting on hard/cold/wet ground

Ceder Box call and a Gobble call

And of course my Stanley thermos of coffee, it will be a long morning. Shooting hours are from 1/2 before sunup till 1300 in the Spring.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Got the gear staged:

Mossberg 835 12 ga with XX full Turkey Choke

2 rounds...1 Fed 3" #6 in the chamber, backed up by a Win 3.5" #6

My lucky camo ball cap

Turkey Vest with handy dandy pockets for everything and a fold down padded cushion in the seat for sitting on hard/cold/wet ground

Ceder Box call and a Gobble call

And of course my Stanley thermos of coffee, it will be a long morning. Shooting hours are from 1/2 before sunup till 1300 in the Spring.
Hey SWO1,
How do you like the 835? Tomorrow I'm trading my 1920's Ward Hercules/ Stevens 12 gauge model 50 and a 1910? Stevens 12 gauge single shot for one. I'm sure it's just a little nicer :)

Hey SWO1,
How do you like the 835? Tomorrow I'm trading my 1920's Ward Hercules/ Stevens 12 gauge model 50 and a 1910? Stevens 12 gauge single shot for one. I'm sure it's just a little nicer :)
I've had mine for 10 yrs. 30" tube and wood stock. My grandson has a newer one with 28" tube and synthetic stock. His holds a little better pattern but like all guns ya never know. The 835 is a 12 ga. but the bore is just a couple clicks under a 10 ga. Come drilled and tapped and the barrels are quick detach with a lot of options. Barrels are threaded for choke options with double bead sights. The newer ones have fiber optic beads. They also have a vent rib. I like em.

Opening day was a bust....NOTHING. Heard the hen cackling down the draw, as I have for the last couple of days. Didn't go down there as I don't want to run her off the nest if she is laying. Didn't even hear a shot anywhere around this morning. Guess I'm not the only one that got skunked. Got till May 5.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I've had mine for 10 yrs. 30" tube and wood stock. My grandson has a newer one with 28" tube and synthetic stock. His holds a little better pattern but like all guns ya never know. The 835 is a 12 ga. but the bore is just a couple clicks under a 10 ga. Come drilled and tapped and the barrels are quick detach with a lot of options. Barrels are threaded for choke options with double bead sights. The newer ones have fiber optic beads. They also have a vent rib. I like em.
Finely swapped out the 2 old shotguns for Mossberg 835. I think my chance on a turkey vastly increased:)

The 835's are good guns. I got an extended choke cheap on ebay (HS Strut Undertaker) and shoot 3.5" Winchester #5's. I went last Sunday and saw a big tom about 200 yards away but he had two hens leading him around by the beard and wanted no part of my call or decoys. I heard some more toms but the cattle moved around that hillside and pushed them out. I went back Wednesday morning, between the rounds of thunderstorms. I set up behind a big log on the right edge of a wooded area. When I started calling a tom answered from the roost. When they flew down they headed up the hill to the pasture to dry out. I started calling and before long he started slowly working his way toward my decoys. I bagged him about 7:10. I didn't weigh him because he was wet, but he had a ten inch beard. And he was delicious. My first turkey.

The 835's are good guns. I got an extended choke cheap on ebay (HS Strut Undertaker) and shoot 3.5" Winchester #5's. I went last Sunday and saw a big tom about 200 yards away but he had two hens leading him around by the beard and wanted no part of my call or decoys. I heard some more toms but the cattle moved around that hillside and pushed them out. I went back Wednesday morning, between the rounds of thunderstorms. I set up behind a big log on the right edge of a wooded area. When I started calling a tom answered from the roost. When they flew down they headed up the hill to the pasture to dry out. I started calling and before long he started slowly working his way toward my decoys. I bagged him about 7:10. I didn't weigh him because he was wet, but he had a ten inch beard. And he was delicious. My first turkey.

Sweet!! Way to go Ernie!!!

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thought the boss would call for work yesterday so I did not go turkey hunting. Come to find out , I should have went hunting. No work. LOL. Even though I thought I'd work today, I got out to the woods at 6:15am, decoys all set up, and a 45 minutes before I had to leave....I could hear 3 different gobblers and seen one turkey pass be by about 125 yrds out. exciting morning for me. oh yeah.... I called the boss and it still looks like no work. But I did see a turkey on my first ever hunt:)

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Jake down. after a 22 yr hiatus from hunting , and a special thanks to my you son for reawakening this joyous hobby. Loosing 80+ pounds to be able to get out again and hunt , I got my fist turkey. He ain't no monster, only a 3 1/2" beard and 1/4" nub spurs 10.4 pounds dressed and plucked. I'll post pic later. Three days left for my wife and son to get Thiers.

A BIG CONGRATS dads.....With this great spring weather looks like nothing for me this year. Did have one cross in front of me the other morning as I pulled out of my property on to the country road. He was about 50 yards out in front and the Chevy 2500 couldn't make up the ground before he crossed into my woods. That's the closest I have come. Pretty bad when "ROAD KILL" crosses your mind.....:eek: Good luck to the wife and son. Enjoy !!!

For sure want to see PIC !!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.