WAHOO A HUNTING FORUM! Antelope in Wyoming

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by bmarg, Jul 5, 2012.

1. marnewick

marnewick Member

I will have an excuse to hunt more,

2. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

If there is room on this trip someone could bring me along. Africa would be an awesome place to hunt!

3. marnewick

marnewick Member

Any time between May and August, but there are areas I can organize all year round.
    We also have a concession in Zimbabwe where we can hunt elephant and cape buffalo.

4. marnewick

marnewick Member

I have a friend in Atlanta that can put Everything together for you, just be warned she is a very pretty south african girl.

5. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

congrats bmarg!

those are fine speedgoats! I picked up a couple of those last season (2011) around Douglas, Wyoming. A buck @ 175 yds and a doe @ 125yds.
    both shot with a Remington 7400 in .280 Rem with 130grn Speer spitzer handloads @ 2900fps. Speedgoats aren't too big but they are tasty!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  6. aka

aka Well-Known Member

@bmarg what did your Bucks measure

7. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Hey guys can anyone help me with scent questions, my scent. My successful hunting experience is limited to small game. I've only hunted deer maybe a dozen times over thirty years. Two years ago I decided for strange reasons I want to shoot a black bear with a 357m. I'll explain the weapon choice if necessary, but please save the lectures as I have researched the cartridges suitability extensively, and using a 357 is the primary reason for wanting to shoot one at all. This year I have compromised by working up a heavy bear load for my 94C, so I at least have a 100 yard gun. I've learned a bit about their food sources here, and have learned to find areas where they are active. In WA we can't bait or use dogs, we must stalk but that fits with my desire to kill one anyway.

I don't know whether I have a scent problem as black bears are hard to kill by stalking, but I've never put enough effort into deer to really learn much about how to avoid or minimize my human scent. What I do is shower the day before a hunt as normal, and then shower the morning of a hunt with hot water and no soap. I wash my cloths with soap then wash again until all scent, as I can smell it is gone, bag them and put them on in the bush. I don't smoke (I do but not before a hunt) but I do eat, drink coffee ect. Can anyone offer advise, and whether any of the deodorizers seem to work? And then anything related to finding black bears would be appreciated to.

8. aka

aka Well-Known Member

A bear smells better (10x plus of human) than they can see. Try using less soap on your clothes. Without bait or dogs, your going to have to do your homework and find out where they are. Some states allow bait till just prior of the season. This allows a hunter use game cameras and study their activity. Most I have seen I rode up on Horseback. In Montana and Wyoming and here in Virginia. Then the others were robbing feeders of birds and deer.

You could always rub yourself down with some Huckleberries and let the bear find you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

are you looking for just pure length of horn and prong, just horn, or full out score?

10. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Lenght of the horn they look better than 14"

11. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

On the narrower one they are 12 1/2" and 12 1/8". Just tossing this in there, but he is only 4 5/8" tip to tip and about 8" at the widest spot. The wide one is 13 1/8" and 12 3/4" with tip to tip being 9 7/8" and at the widest he is 13 1/4". So they aren't better than 14, but for me I think they are pretty good. If I was to go again I would look for something with bigger prongs. The prongs on both of mine are so small.

12. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

@tahoe

Do you know what the horns measure on your buck?

13. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Wow the picture I would have sworn they were at least 14". They are nice looking bucks just the same.

14. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I wish, It must just be my dads great hunting photography skills! I don't know how much the horns shrink when they dry, but maybe they were a lot closer in the picture than they are right now.

15. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

bmarg

I actually never measured them, but my skull is now ready for the european mount, so I'm going to mount it and I will measure them. I think they are only about 10-1/2", but it was a fantastic hunt and my first trip to Wyoming, I can't wait till 2013.:)

16. aka

aka Well-Known Member

They do shrink but not a great amount.

17. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really enjoyed going antelope hunting. I would go again in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter how big your buck is, or if you only shoot a doe, you will have fun antelope hunting. Tahoe did you go on public or private land?

18. aka

aka Well-Known Member

I'd like to get out there one more time and do some Phronghorn and some Mule deer in the Breaks in eastern Montana

19. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

bmarg

private land of a cattle rancher, 1600 acres, adjoining several other properties, all fenced with barbed wire. The animals are truely wild and would jump the fences when they felt threatened.
    Herds were 15-40 animals and there were several herds. It was very hard to sneak up on them, but their curiosity would get the better of them at times.

20. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to the set up we hunted, minus the herds. We would see a maximum of 10 animals, usually only in herds of a couple antelope. That would be cool to see a herd of 40. I would like to do muleys too, it would be a good change up from whitetail.