Washington State, land of the not so free

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 72Camaro, Jun 30, 2012.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

I owned a 75 El Camino for a very brief period of time. Didn't have the money to fix it, so a practically gave it away. New owner put a new tranny in it. I lost $1200 on that investment... Long story...

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Some nice classic cars here:D

3. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I bought a 72 402 Monte Carlo to restore for profit. I got the chassis and engine done then was offered another business deal, took it, and the car went on hold. I gave the car to my brother as payment for some help, and he let it get stolen. About 2500 down the tubes.

4. 72Camaro

72Camaro Well-Known Member

As of now, racing this weekend. Only 3rd time this year. Went to a car show, which is somewhat a waste of time but i have a friend in Granite Falls that we go see yearly and this was leaving the show. How can you not like the smell of race gas on a public street?

[​IMG]

5. duster066

Darn it! I was gonna go to Granite Falls with the Duster this last weekend. I chickened out because of the temp. I didn't want to spend a hundred bucks for the gas, and was worried about driving it on pump gas in the high heat.

6. 72Camaro

I have to trailer mine up there. I can get up to 2mpg if I mostly idle it on public roads when I had insurance on it but a trip down the track is about 1/2mpg, on race fuel. You are not going to believe this, my insurance company decided after they had pictures they did not want to insure it as a classic. They said it was a bit farther off than stock and that is what they were looking for.

7. duster066

I can only guess at the mileage I get with my Duster. It has no odometer, and I haven't driven it enough to really have a clue. I have never even filled it. I figure 25 to 30 gallons per hour at track speed which does no good at all for figuring put put street range.

8. 72Camaro

My odometer does not work either but I know it is a gallon to go down that track and back to the pits, that's a 1/2 mile or so. My other trip was down to the local store and back and that is a know 8 miles round trip and it took 4 gallons.

9. duster066

That is a thirsty motor for sure. Mine is probably getting 5 to 8 putting around town. It's not all that radical at all. It's made to make good usable track power for about 20 to 30 hours between tear downs. I've always put money into reliability because I've never been able to afford to replace a good one. So it has all the right stuff in the right places to hold together a mild race build for a long time.

10. 72Camaro

Had a great time at the track even though out first run. I knew not to change anything after the two time trials but I did anyways and from a 10.64 dial in I ran a 10.50 and really broke out, this is all because of a shift point change. I could have slowed and still beat my opponent but since it was running so much better I lost my mind and buried my foot in it. I did find out my cam likes a bunch more RPM, I was shifting around 6700 and now I'm shifting at 7000. Not bad for a big block.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  11. duster066

Is it good for another 300? I crewed for a guy who ran an SCCA American Sedan Camaro. We were out at PRP one weekend and conditions were just right that he was running out of gear in a short chute. His options were to shift and lose time, lift and lose time, or zing it for a couple hundred more. He chose the latter and it popped.:mad: Pretty slick driver though because he sensed the vibration and immediately shut it off. We didn't find the problem until we got the rods out and could see the journal completely sheared from the counter weight. The crank came out in two pieces. It was amazing to me it didn't go out of time and blow all to hell.

12. 72Camaro

I should be good for an easy 300rpm more up to 7000, full Lunati everything except roller lifters, that is probably my weak point. Full girdle on the top end and lift is under .7 by a little and a long duration. I've been toying with the idea to give it a little more. I need just a little more gear but I don't think I'm going to change to a 4.88 right now, I'm going to stick with the 4.56. I'm going through about 6700rpm through the traps.

13. duster066

Have you ever done an organized competition shoot? I started Cowboy action this summer, and have found it strikingly similar to auto racing. I get the same butterflies the day before, and all of the competitive satisfaction from the events. On the personal side the people are great just like the club racing I've been involved in, and very much unlike the local for profit stock car racing I've done. And the guns replace the cars, but it's much cheaper to hot rod them. Oh and they don't break as often!;)

14. 72Camaro

I've been told by one of the range officers at the gun range I'm a member of to do some of their range practical shooting events with my handgun. He was actually using me as an example of how to shoot to some that were just starting. I'm not bad but they have it on Sunday morning every couple months, Church time, so I haven't made it.