Marlin Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
JM is the trade mark of the Marlin company, I believe it is the initials of the founder Jame Marlin. I am sure Shrek or the other Marlinites will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

· Registered
170 Posts
Hey, at least I got his last name right...hehe....

· Registered
853 Posts
That's so when you are looking at a bunch of lever guns in a rifle rack you don't accidentally grab a Winchester. :eek:

It was just a decorative trademark logo added to the rifles in the early 1920's.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

My 22 barrel has a stamped JM inside a cricle, What does JM mean?
Im under the impression that the JM stamp is very sought after. This has to do with the sale if Marlin and move that follwed years of quality issues so the JM is a marge of former quality in marlin rifles. Frankly I didnt know any of this and purchesed a 1895 Dark series 45-70 and i love it. Ive not had a single issue with it other then finding a good flash suppressor in thie wierd thread of 11/16 i think. Had a great on bought on Ebay from australia and now noone wants to shoot near me at the range. The action is smooth as butter and easy to cycle and the recoil was suprisingly mild for such a large round. First shot i could feel the stalk cushoin compress and felt nothing. so it may be that the kinks are worked out.

I also have purchased a Cheappa 357 that had to be taken apart and the feed tray shaved to allow it to work and a Henry Long ranger Wildlife attition in 308 that is a complete peace of garbage designed by someone with no practical shooting experiance as it can only shoot hi grade rounds and jams the lever open thus ypou cant remove the mag to clear it.

So im one of three for buying a good lever action and its a marlin Dark series

· Registered
29 Posts
I generally only buy real Marlins,for two reasons,1 is quality,2 is history,my third pieve is because Remington nearly destroyed the Marlin brand , they put a whole factory of trained Marlin guys out of work,they could have kept operations right there and kept the Marlin factory running just as is with all its faults and also it’s positives,but 5hey moved it putting Marlin guys out of a job,but then ran a brand into the ground AND putting a whole bunch of guys who thought THEY had a job out of work too,when they could not even make thier guns right.I’ll bet all the management guys left with a golden parachute too. Labor got screwed,the product got screwed and Marlin guys have to pay three times as much for Marlins now! I got a grudge,I’m Union too.

· Super Moderator
103 Posts
I generally only buy real Marlins,for two reasons,1 is quality,2 is history,my third pieve is because Remington nearly destroyed the Marlin brand , they put a whole factory of trained Marlin guys out of work,they could have kept operations right there and kept the Marlin factory running just as is with all its faults and also it’s positives,but 5hey moved it putting Marlin guys out of a job,but then ran a brand into the ground AND putting a whole bunch of guys who thought THEY had a job out of work too,when they could not even make thier guns right.I’ll bet all the management guys left with a golden parachute too. Labor got screwed,the product got screwed and Marlin guys have to pay three times as much for Marlins now! I got a grudge,I’m Union too.
I tend to agree with you on the ridiculous price that those things are going for nowadays. We get lied to a lot by the industry telling us that that's the cost of doing business in this inflationary environment, but how much of that $1000 ++ price tag is inflation and how much of it is to line the pockets of the suits that ran Marlin into the ground?

· Registered
29 Posts
I’m not sure how real Ruger Marlins will be unless they figure a way to produce for more reasonable price,how many guys today can afford how many Marlins at Rugers price? JM Marlins sold a lot,because they were affordable,even then layaway was how I bought.That in consequence caused used Marlins to go up,unsure why ? A reasonable priced rifle these days is a plastic piece of trash.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts