Marlin Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Super Moderator
103 Posts
I've heard the Ruger Marlins are top notch but they're priced waaay up there too. I've been drooling over the new 44 mag Colt Anacondas and would love to get one, but you have to be willing to put up $1500 - $2000, or more, for one if you can even find one. In my opinion, the average joe shooter absolutely cannot afford to buy these uber-priced firearms these days especially with the inflationary upward spiral we find ourselves in. So I wonder just who Ruger or Colt is targeting to buy these pricey firearms?

· Registered
29 Posts
JM is the proof mark of the original Kenna family owned real Marlin company,everyone thought thier production and factory was out dated but they seem to have been the only ones that could produce well made ,good looking,Marlin rifles with real walnut stocks at prices that could be realistic to the regular working guy. Remington tried to destroy thier reputation ,then shot themselves in the head,and Ruger only makes them with laminated stocks ,only 45/70 and at prices three times what the real Marlin made them for,Most guys I feel want a simple ,no frills well made lever in a variety of calibers,with maybe real wood ,at a working man’s price,not a collectors price.

· Super Moderator
103 Posts
JM is the proof mark of the original Kenna family owned real Marlin company,everyone thought thier production and factory was out dated but they seem to have been the only ones that could produce well made ,good looking,Marlin rifles with real walnut stocks at prices that could be realistic to the regular working guy. Remington tried to destroy thier reputation ,then shot themselves in the head,and Ruger only makes them with laminated stocks ,only 45/70 and at prices three times what the real Marlin made them for,Most guys I feel want a simple ,no frills well made lever in a variety of calibers,with maybe real wood ,at a working man’s price,not a collectors price.
Amen to that. It puzzles me too why these firearm companies can't seem to give the working class shooter a basic, well made lever gun that doesn't break the bank. Only ones that can afford these lofty prices that the inherited "Marlins" are going for are the shooter/collectors that are on the far right end of the bell curve. Makes no sense to me other than it's pure greed.

· Registered
26 Posts
Marlin was a dying company with poor quality control, entitled employees and there had been no reinvestment in machinery or modernization. I think there is a lot of misinformation purposely spread on the internet by a few folks with an agenda.

Go back in time, grab one of those mythical Marlins and bring it to the here and now and account for inflation and you will be shocked and perhaps a little educated. All that medical, dental, retirement, environment and taxes have to come from somewhere. And they could not do it profitably with antique and worn out machinery with the instructions scribbled on a wall that got painted over.

We can live in the past or live in the now and with an eye to the future.

· Super Moderator
103 Posts
OMG....that's sacrilegious to come on a "Marlin" forum & post such things....😅, but that's most likely what really happened to Marlin in their final days.

I think many of us got blind sided by that by seeing the garbage that The Freedom Group was putting out after the Marlin acquisition by Remington. Now that Ruger has them, the quality is sure to be top notch but so are their prices too.

· Registered
29 Posts
They didnt sell because they had to,they sold because no family member wanted to run it( Kennas) all they needed was a good business head.The prices on Marlins did not go up from inflation alone,they started going up with Remingtons acquisition,somebody had to pay for the new machinery,even if the operators could not run them right.I believe JM Marlins were cheaper because the machines were paid for years ago but the longtime operators knew how to run them and how to build Marlins.every curve and cut was handed down ,sometimes from father to son.there is probably a little extra padding on the price above and beyond the inflation and new machines too.the JMmarlins I looked at for sale were mostly pretty nice rifles,well fit,well made ,with straight sights ,nicely finished,even if it was Marshield,I kinda know,I was back in time!:sneaky::oops:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts