Marlin Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1068 Posts

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Do you sand bag it down?
Cant ..... One of the rules is rest(s) cannot be affixed to the bench. Beside they weigh about 30lbs, DONT MOVE. With the super feet under the 3 point leveling system they are real hard to scoot around. Have to lift either the front, back to align to the target. I shot off 1 at Bristol, Va. A .22 dosnt have enough recoil to affect it, and they are sweet. Milled to about a 1000th and track (move the gun left/right, up/down) smooth and level. I start on the left/top target and when I track to the next one right the scope dot is in the exact same place horizontally (if you have the target card hung level and the scope is level on the gun, and when tracked down the same.

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Variable wind would be challenging!
Very seldom do we get a steady wind from one main direction. Another dreaded condition is "Dead flags". Most ranges have trees, berms, buildings around sides, back, front and some with tall walls. This causes up/down drafts and swirls. Nothing like looking and seeing 3-5 flags about 8 yard apart pointing in different directions at once. Today at one time I had my main two flags I was shooing from twirling around like a top.

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
All three major disciplines of rimfire benchrest, ARA, PSL, and IR/50-50 allow 20 minutes to complete the 25 target card. One shot per target with all the sighters you want. Most all use a timer at their bench and start it with the command ... Your time starts now. I have seen over 50 shots in that time limit used by some shooters. I usually take 5 sighters prior to starting the scoring targets. The first shots are used to foul or season the barrel with lube off the bullets. I dont know of any who start a card with a dirty barrel. Prior and between each card the rifles are Cleaned. This includes running patches with bore cleaner formulated to clean powder, primer residue and lead from the barrel and chamber. The cleaning fluid contains a lubricant that negates the use of Oil. Triggers are flushed with lighter fluid. The only place that a lube is used is on the locking lugs of the bolt. I use one labeled STOS (Slicker Than Owl Shit).

As the time runs down a 10, 5, 2, 1, minute warning is given. Then the command Cease Fire is given at the end.

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Registered today for a double ARA tournament in Lonsdale, Arkansas. On Saturday and Sunday 7/1-2. Will see how the new rest and Lapua ammo do. The wife and I will drive down EARLY Sat. morning. The match is at 1400. 0800 on Sunday and will drive home that day. Its around a 5 hour trip each way. It will be my first time there so excited to see how it shoots.

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 ·
SW shoot straight.never could under stand that but it sounds good
Good Luck

:)

· Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Shot a couple of batches of test loads in the Mini 14,1 of them had a couple loads that wasn't bad but the other batch didn't have anything I liked.
Then after that I got out the ole T/C G2 Contender pistol in 35 Rem. and started trying a couple tests loads I'd worked up several years ago and never got to shoot. I got 3/4 of the way through the 1st batch and the Chronograph quit working (probably because the sun had gone down too far,not sure) so since I had had enough for the day and it was getting late,I just quit. Might as well save some for another day ;) .

· Banned
5,719 Posts
Just finished up cleaning my guns from Range Day Thursday when I heard a thud on the porch...and a delivery truck put it in gear and drive away...

Turns out I finally got the .22 Magnum Cylinder for my new Heritage Rough Rider Revolver...

Guess I gotta go back to the range again today and see where she prints with the CCI .22WMR HP Maxi Mag loads I bought in bulk. :rolleyes:

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Shooter we expect a full range report on my desk in the morning.

:)

· Banned
1,169 Posts
We went out yesterday and shot quite a few dust collectors. We had an M-! Garand, 3 AR-15's, an AK-47, a Mini 14, a tactical Ruger 10-22 shot expertly by a 7 year old girl, we had Glocks, Berettas, Smith and Wessons.

As I was shooting my trusty Glock, my son taps me on the shoulder holding a new in box, H&K VP9, and said "Happy Father's Day" to me. Damn, I can now die with a smile on my face!

· Banned
5,719 Posts
Shooter we expect a full range report on my desk in the morning.:)
OK Four !!

Tested out the Heritage Rough Rider .22 Magnum Cylinder I finally got yesterday ( 52 day backorder )...this morning...200 rounds downrange...works like a charm.

Had to correct for the .22 Magnum loads a little, as the .22 Long Rifle loads I shoot print about perfect. I could bend the front sight a little, but that would put the .22 LR's off...and I will probably be shootin' 'em more frequently...so, I can live with self correcting for the .22 Mags.

Glad I got 800 rounds left...I enjoyed it way too much !!

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Everything is packed and range ready. I have 4 3030 test loads and 4 .223 test loads, each with 10 cartridges per load, and 5 loads per box. I won't shoot them all but I will do what I can do. Supposed to get some high wind in the morning so I will shoot till it gets bad. If I can get some decent targets I will post them. I will be shooting the new MMR for the first time and the lever gun for the first time since .....uh...last time. Over a year anyway. I hope I can get a close bench. This stuff is heavy. It would be a lot lighter if I only took one gun but I ain't that smart.

1041 - 1060 of 1068 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.