Winchester 94 Cleaning

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by FOUR4D4, Aug 5, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I have 3 Wincester 94 Im taking the trapper to the range and to tell you the truth i have never shoot any of them:eek: What techneec do you use on cleaning a 94 the local gun smith told me to clean from the muzzle, some thing dont sit right with me.I was going to buy a muzzle guide at his shop and he told me keep it simple and my Tipton fiber cleaning rod woulld work fine:eek:

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Four, usually on lever actions people clean from th muzzle end and i do also. just seems easier that way. if worried about the crown, get a muzzle protector to keep from dinging up the crown.

3. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Or could buy one of those bore snakes ( otis ? ) and clean from the chamber.

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I clean my Winchester lever guns from the muzzle. You just have to be careful of the crown, but I have never had any issues.

5. FOUR4D4

Thanks for the replies!!! Thats what i like about my Marlins i can clean them from the breach end with the removal of 4 parts

6. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

My only Winchester is a Rossi clone '92. Until I got my 45LC/Unique loads settled in I had a lot of powder soot that required teardown to clean. Now that the load is better burning I have limited cleaning to muzzle only for a few cleanings until the action looks like the bottom of my fireplace.

7. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Without a bore snake is there any other way? I have no problem at all cleaning from the muzzle end with cheap brass rods and steel threaded brushes. I'm just real careful, go slow, and use my left hand as a guide. Wait till it's time to tear the action down. That's when you'll really appreciate the Marlin design. The Win 94 is not the hardest gun I've serviced, but it takes some fancy two handed work to jiggle it all back together. Google it when you are ready. Good instructions help a lot.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

A little awkward , but you could put the cleaning rod in and screw the tip with the patch on in the chamber . Maybe hold it with needle nose pliers ?
    Then pull out for the first pass or two. By then most all the gunk is out , then finish cleaning from the muzzle .

9. FOUR4D4

Im going to attept this now wish me luck:D

10. aka

aka Well-Known Member

This how I clean after regular use. Caliber specific. With help from a rag and a small brush. Once a year or so I tear them down. The Winchester are a bigger PIA than the Marlins to tear down.

A friend once showed me to put an empty casing in the chamber. So when you cleaned from the muzzle end, the crud fell into the casing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012