Winchester M70 in 243Win.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by axxe55, Apr 2, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

this weekend i did get to put some downrange in a rifle i haven't shot in over 30 years. recently a few weeks ago my father brought his Winchester M70 in 243 over to me to clean it up and test fire it. well it was the first time it's been out of the gunsafe in almost 15 years he told me. well i did take it apart and clean it and tried to test fire it, but it wouldn't even hit paper at 50 yards! the gun and scope are over 40 years old. so this weekend i put a new scope on it for him and zeroed it in. at 100 yards, i had one 5 shot group that could be covered up with a dime. i had forgot how accurate this rifle was and such a pleasure to shoot. this was the first centerfire rifle i learned to shoot with. fond memories with this rifle.

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

What's not to like about the .243win.? If I lived in JohnnyLoco's neck of the woods I'd be shooting mine more often. Actually the only deer I've ever killed with a .243 was in Texas Hill Country a couple miles outside Fredericksburg. A nice 8pt buck.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i love that old M70 in 243! first centerfire rifle i ever shot and took my first deer with it when i much younger. just out of curiosity i measured the trigger pull weight, it broke at a hair over 2 lbs.! this trigger has never even been adjusted that i know of. this 243 of my fathers is just plain accurate. i do enjoy shooting it. i wish i had thought to take some pictures of it when i had here at the house.

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Same thing I have axxe...a M70 Winchester. They are just plain fun to shoot.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

gotta love the old Winchester M70's! awesome rifles. you just can't find any of the older ones around my area and even the newer ones seem to be scarce.