Marlin Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if there is anyone making wood stocks for the X7 rifles? or even laminate stocks?:confused:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't mind a new stock for bedding purposes. Plus, wood does look better. I'm not going to ask who here has wood......
shrek came up with Boyd's Stocks. i found another maybe source, Richard's Microfit Stocks, but can't confirm if they are available yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The great thing about the Boyd's stocks, we've tested the heck out of 'em over at RFC & G&G :)

Only need minor fitting, as does any change of stock. Of course, I do suggest glass bedding or pillar bedding for the perfect fit ;)

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The great thing about the Boyd's stocks, we've tested the heck out of 'em over at RFC & G&G :)

Only need minor fitting, as does any change of stock. Of course, I do suggest glass bedding or pillar bedding for the perfect fit ;)
so in a nutshell, the Boyd's are pretty good stocks? i am giving some thought to doing at least one of mine with the wood stock, and will most likely glass bed it and pillar bed it also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
boyds stocks !!!

I have done two Boyds stocks on mauser's;
a walnut for a Yugo M24/47, and a laminate for my sons Spanish 1931 M95 mauser. Both were unfinished when I got them and Boyds has a stock preparation guide. Both required some minor inletting but it was easy, a little around the barrel and action and lots of sanding 180, 220, 320, then 400, + 5 coats of hand rubbed Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. They have both been hunted with in heavy rain with no ill effects. Love em!!:cool:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tahoe, i currently have two rifles with the Boyd's stocks and have a couple more with plans for them with Boyd's stocks. yes there is some minor fitting required, but that is said upfront and a given. i too am very pleased with them and would highly recommend them and did just that today to a co-worker.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't think of a better starting project for a rifle owner, that carries over into EVERY kind of rifle, and makes such a HUGE difference in precision,
as Bedding a New Stock...Usually the first time folks don't read/heed all instructions, and have to do it again,
but it makes better gun owners out of 'em...as long as they learn from their mistakes :D

Also makes Gunsmiths quite a lot of money, as bedding is inexpensive for them to do, and they can charge a pretty penny for it ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes Boyds Gun Stocks had solid and laminate stocks for the x7. Reasonably priced around $100. Free floated it dropped in slick as can be, only issue I had was the stock to reciever screw has a flat square shouldered screw and the Boyds insert in the stock is for a counter sunk screw head, I used a bottoming reamer and squared and flattened it and then the screw reached the threads and sat recessed below the stock making it smooth to handle. I like the look and feel of wood over synthetic. Grouping and impact did not change with the added wood stock. I will be replacing my other marlin synthetics with Boyds wood stocks in due time. A note on Marlins synthetic stocks, they appear and feel the strongest of all the other brands that I looked at in the price/budget entry level bracket. All 4 of mine shoot sub moa.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes Boyds Gun Stocks had solid and laminate stocks for the x7. Reasonably priced around $100. Free floated it dropped in slick as can be, only issue I had was the stock to reciever screw has a flat square shouldered screw and the Boyds insert in the stock is for a counter sunk screw head, I used a bottoming reamer and squared and flattened it and then the screw reached the threads and sat recessed below the stock making it smooth to handle. I like the look and feel of wood over synthetic. Grouping and impact did not change with the added wood stock. I will be replacing my other marlin synthetics with Boyds wood stocks in due time. A note on Marlins synthetic stocks, they appear and feel the strongest of all the other brands that I looked at in the price/budget entry level bracket. All 4 of mine shoot sub moa.
i agree with your assessment of the factory Marlin synthetic stocks. the only flaw i found on them was the forend to be little flimsy. an easy fix though and i fixed all of mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts